Monday, June 21, 2010

Rhee Remarks Rile Klein

June 21, 2010 (GBN News): NY City Schools Chancellor Joel Klein is reportedly livid over the tone of a recent Daily News op ed by his Washington DC counterpart. In the article, DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee turns the tables on her former mentor by suggesting that Mr. Klein should learn from the way she negotiated her recent contract with the Washington Teachers Union. While Mr. Klein has publicly praised the contract, newly revealed emails between the two chancellors tell a different story. GBN News obtained the following transcript:

Klein email to Rhee: You have some nerve telling me what to do. I’ve been in this job a lot longer than you.

Rhee response: So what if you’ve been around longer than me? As you’ve said yourself, seniority means nothing, it’s effectiveness that counts. I’m the one who came up with an effective contract, not you.

Klein: Listen, you young whippersnapper, I got you that job, I made you into what you are. How can you show me up in public like that? How do you think I feel?

Rhee: Oh, you poor baby, getting all touchy feely now. I'm like, you know what, I don't give a crap. In this business, you live by the sword, you die by the sword. I’m the innovator now, and you’re just another “defender of the status quo”.

Klein: OK, Ms. Broomstick, have it your way. But mark my words, wait till another young innovator comes around. Then it’ll be your job on the line.

Rhee: I don’t think so, Mr. Blackberry. Remember, if they try to replace me, they lose millions from those foundations that won’t give DC schools a cent unless I stay in this job. So I guess some seniority rights are just worth a lot more than others.

No comments: